Skip to content

Chiefs defeat Perry Central, will play Wesson in 2nd round at Co-Lin

Perry Central was the first to score last Friday in the first round of the 3A playoffs. At 4:01 into the first quarter the Bulldogs went up 6-0. The PAT failed, and the New Augusta team held on until the Chiefs answered with a touchdown, then added the extra point to make the score 7-6 THS with 1:06 remaining in the first quarter.
The Bulldogs mostly depended on their running game to advance the ball downfield, and pulled away from the Chiefs with 7:29 remaining in the first half scoring their second touchdown of the evening then adding a two-point conversion to up the score 14-7.
The Chiefs relied on their passing game mostly with the exception of handoffs to Amad Thompson who managed to pick up rushing yards for the team. With 1:37 remaining prior to the halftime break, a second Chiefs’ score and PAT evened the score at 14-14.
Returning from the mid-game break, Tylertown upped the score to 20-14 with 8:14 left in the third quarter. The Chiefs’ extra point attempt failed.
Less than three-minutes later. the Bulldogs regained the lead and Tylertown’s failed extra point earlier came back to bite the Chiefs as Perry Central went up 21-20.
But, toward the end of the third period, the Chiefs hit paydirt again, upping the score to 26-21.
In the final 12 minutes, the Chiefs added another six to their five point lead, then added more insurance, another six points plus a two-point conversion to seal a Tylertown win 40-21.
The Chiefs will give up the homefield advantage of the opening round game, traveling to Wesson Friday night.
Coach Oz Holmes’ Chiefs hope to replay the Cobras for the one-point loss THS suffered to Wesson in the regular season’s opening game.
Friday night’s kickoff is at 7 p.m. on the campus of Copiah-Lincoln Community College.
The winner will advance to the third playoff round and will face the winner of the Raleigh-St. Stanislaus game, also being played Friday night.

Leave a Comment